If you are an enthusiastic shooter or an expert hunter, in both scenarios you need the best rifle scope for your rifle.
With so many brands and varieties of scopes available in the market, it’s really tricky to pick the one fulfilling all your shooting endeavor requirements.
The best possible way is to ask any of your friends who have extensive experience of selecting and using the rifle scopes. The next useful approach is to take a look at rifle scope reviews which you can easily find out online.
Amazon is pretty good source in this regard where you can get innumerable yet reliable reviews. However, it’s only you who knows what rifle scope you actually need.
You must understand that the quality of the scope is as important as rifle itself and sometimes more important than that. Poor quality scope can lead to trouble hitting the targets even if you have mounted it on the best rifle.
Game will be little intimidating if you are novice and don’t have much familiarity with the rifle scopes from its types to uses.
What Rifle Scope Should I Get?
Though I have years of hunting experience but every time when I need to upgrade my equipment, I think about whether I am getting something beneficial or just an item of no value. For accurate target acquisition and precise shooting, you must bear in mind the intended use of scope before deciding to buy any.
‘For what purpose you need a scope?’is actual question I ask myself when selecting a rifle or the scope. You should also do the same and remember that it’s the scope’s use that in turn defines what magnification and field of view can work best for you.
This will not only save your money but also help you in getting exactly the right scope that fits your anticipated shooting needs. For instance, a target shooter and an animal hunter will definitely need different types of rifle scopes.
Let’s look into different scopes in reference to their potential use.
These scopes are best suitable for shooting at short distances and low visibility areas. This usually happens in heavy woods or thick brushes where you cannot see easily beyond 150 yards.
When your average shot range is about 100 yards then the best rifle scope will be of short range with 2-2.5X magnification. Fixed power as well as the 1-4X variables also work pretty well for hunting at short to medium distances.
I prefer Nikon ProStaff 3-9x 40 Black Matte (BDC) for my short range target shooting. I love the normal sight image provided by BDC reticle of this scope and the most consistent eye-relief that I never experienced before. It fits best with my heavy recoil firearms.
- Compact riflescope with 3 to 9x magnification and 40mm objective lens
- Fully multicoated optical system transmits up to 98 percent of available light
- Zero-reset turret with spring-loaded adjustment knob; 3.6 inches of eye relief
These rifle scopes suit best for shooting and hunting at the distance range of 100 to 200 yards. Medium range and general purposes rifle scopes are used to shot targets at these distances. However, according to rifle scope reviews many medium range scopes also work nicely at distance of 300 yards.
These work equally good with many of the common types of air rifles. From bear to deer hunters, these scopes with fixed 4X power are the most admirable. These amazingly do all that is required to be done by shooters.
Commonly used magnification levels for these scopes include 2-7X, 2.8-8X and 3-9X. Usually mounted in low rings, medium range rifle scopes offer a wide field of view even at low power setting.
For mid-range targeting, my choice is Barska 1-4×28 IR rifle scope mounted on my AR-15 rifle.
- 1-4x MAGNIFICATION - The SWAT-AR features a versatile zoom range that is perfect for close to...
- ILLUMINATED MIL-DOT RETICLE - Adapt the crosshairs to fit the current lighting environment with a...
- UNCOMPROMISING CLARITY - Fully-multicoated optics work to enhance clarity, color, and contrast to...
Whenever you plan on hunting in open areas, you must opt for a long ranging scope.Usually mounted on long barrel rifles, these scopes help to make perfect shot at distances of 300 yards and above.
Providing the magnification models of 2.5-8x, 3-9x, 3-10x and even the 6x, these are the great scopes for varmint hunting though it’s not much common these days.
When it comes to long range scopes, I have a preference in FSI Sniper 6-24x50mm Scope W front AO adjustment.
- Multi-coated optics
- 6061 T6 Aircraft Grade Body
- Ball and Bearing Windage/Elevation adjustment for precision and superior shock resistant
These scopes are the specialized optics that are made to be mounted forward of the receiver. It needs extended eye relief that will result in declining the field of view. Eventually, it will slow down the target acquisition for most of the shooters.
Meant for action, these rifle scopes are intended for shooters who require a working rifle or fighting carbine and use the scout general-purpose rifle typically of .308 caliber.
5 Best Rifle Scope Recommendations
Firstly, I may include the following top 5 rifle scope that I mentioned when guided to select best ar 15 scope:
1. UTG 30mm SWAT 3-12X44 Compact IE Scope with AO Mil-dot, 36 Colors EZ-TAP
2. Nikon P-223 4-12×40 BDC 600 Rifle scope
3. Bushnell AR Optics FFP Illuminated BTR-1 BDC Reticle AR-223 Riflescope
4. Nikon P-223 3×32 Matte BDC Carbine
5. Nikon P-223 3-9×40 Mate BDC 600
Also I can show you other 5 good rifle scope as follows:
1. Nikon ProStaff 3-9 x 40 Black Matte Riflescope (BDC)
2. FSI Sniper 6-24x50mm Scope W front AO adjustment
3. Nikon Prostaff 4-12×40 Black Matte Riflescope (BDC)
4. Leupold VX-I Rifle Scope
5. UTG 3-9×32 Compact CQB Bug Buster AO RGB Scope
|UTG 3-12X44 30mm Compact Scope, AO, 36-color Mil-dot, Rings||$97.98||Check Price|
|Nikon P-223 BDC 600 Riflescope with Rapid Action Turret, Black,...||$299.95||Check Price|
Top 5 Best Rifle Scope Reviews
Infographic – How to Zero Your Rifle Scope
How to Sight in a Rifle Scope
Sighting in a rifle scope actually stands for scope’s alignment with your rifle to zero it. Its takes patience and time to sight-in a rifle scope accurately. But you must sight-in your scope before use if you want a truly precise shot.
Let me tell you how a beginner can sight in a rifle scope properly with easy steps.
- Mount your scope on the rifle, fix it and screw up tightly. Your scope must be perfectly fit on the rifle.
- Select a firm base to shoot from. You can use a rifle rest, a bipod or sandbag for this. Make sure that none of the rifle’s parts is resting on hard surface.
- Now choose a safe place holding the target like a pellet trap together with safe surroundings (to avoid any harm in case you miss the first shot ).
- Set up the target ten yards away from your rifle in safe windless area. This distance is best for clear view of the target.
- Set the scope to maximum magnification.
- Focus the eye-piece until you get sharpest possible view of the target.
- Reset the elevation and windage turrets.
- Now load the pellet, aim it carefully at the center of the target and fire.
- Observe where the pellet hits the target,it’s almost certainly not in the center where you want.
- Hold the rifle firmly, look in scope and adjust the turrets until the crosshair are centered on the hole made by your fired pellet. Your rifle should not move by any means while making these adjustments.
- Now carefully move the rifle to aim at the center of the target again and fire.
- If you are close but not quite at center, just repeat the process until you hit exactly at the center of the target.
If you are an expert, you can easily sight-in by setting target at 25 yards and then at 100 yards in the field.
How to Clean Your Rifle Scope?
For the best shooting accuracy and pleasure, you must keep your shooting gears clean especially the scope. The cleaning process is so simple and easy to do.
- Brush away all the dirt from glass surface with the help of a soft brush. You can also use an air blow to remove large dust particles from the scope
- Use Soft-Tech microfiber and chemical free cloth to remove minor smudges from the glass
- Use eyeglass tissues to remove fingerprints and lubricants from lens. A mild soap solution and cotton swab can also be used for the same.
Depending on the application, your investment on purchasing a remarkable rifle scope can be much more than the rifle itself. For the case of point, a rifle scope can cost you several thousand dollars for bench rest shooting.This is the point to weigh up extensively for buying the best rifle scope accommodating all your shooting needs.
You are required to do much research and planning before buying any rifle scope. Getting hold of good scope is not daunting task if you carefully assess the available options in the market. Rifle scope reviews from genuine users will certainly help you in this regard.
Be a smart shooter and remember this thumb rule that cheap optics cannot be good and good optics cannot be cheaper. Don’t tire yourself, by comparing your preferred scopes you can get the best one without any budget collapse.
Incoming search terms:
- best rifle scope
- best scope for the money
- best rifle scope for the money
- best rifle scopes
- whats a good compact rifle scope
- gwhat is a good general scope for a rifle
- best scope glass in medium price range
- best rifle scopes reviews
- best rifle scopes 2018